When you start a new blog, there are steps you can take to help drive traffic to your blog. Traffic is people visiting your blog.
If you’re blogging for reasons other than sharing news with family and friends, then this is important. Here are 3 tips (maybe a bit more than that) you can do to drive traffic to your blog.
1. Blog Commenting
As you put your blog together or consider what you’re going to blog about, you might want to consider doing some initial work before you put your blog out there.
For instance, consider using a commenting strategy to drive traffic to your blog before you even start blogging. This means that you help create a community around other blogs that you’re interested in. By doing this, it will help drive traffic to your blog and hopefully receive some comments from the folks who’ve been building communities with.
Now, if you don’t want to create a community around your blog, you certainly don’t need a commenting strategy. Let me explain. There are three types of traffic that comes to your blog, direct traffic, referral traffic and search engine traffic. I discussed some of that in my Blog Stats for January 2009 blog post with a nice and neat little pie chart provided by Google Analytics.
If you’re going after search engine traffic, then you really don’t need a commenting strategy because the goal of getting search engine traffic will include tasks like optimizing your blog posts and pages with the keyword(s) you want to rank high for in the search engines. More on that in a future post.
2. Register Your Blog
Register your blog in the three main search engines using the links below. This will start the indexing process of your blog by the search engines so people can find you.
- Google – Add your URL to Google
- MSN – Submit your site to Live Search
- Yahoo – Site Explorer
- BlogCatalog – One of the first sites that showed my blog in Google.
- Delicious – A bookmarking site that you can use strategically for driving traffic to your blog. Check out the Marketers Guide to Delicious. Also, add me to your delicious network if you’d like and when you bookmark your favorite articles on Delicious you’ll have a choice to share bookmarks with me.
- Claim your blog at Technorati – Technorati is a site that allows people to search blogs. You can claim your blog(s) at Technorati to start getting indexed there as well. Claim Your Blog is a menu choice under Blogger Central at Technorati.
3. Participate in Social Networking
Pick a social networking site like Twitter. You can enter a link to your blog in your twitter profile. When you participate on twitter and people want to check out more about you, they can click on your blog link from your profile.
StumbleUpon is a site that allows you to randomly find website, videos and pictures in many different categories. There’s also a friends network on StumbleUpon that allows you to Stumble your friends favorite websites as well as your friends, stumbling your favorite websites. Ultimately, having StumbleUpon friends that Stumble your blog posts, will drive tons of traffic to your blog.
Subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss any blog traffic building tips.